monoprice PLA filament?

The place to share your best tips and tricks for the best prints.

Moderator: Elijah

gavin167

monoprice PLA filament?

Postby gavin167 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:18 am

I have a feeling I know the answer to my own question...but here it goes:

Anyone have any luck with monoprice PLA?

I'm new to printing and TAM, and I bought some PLA from monoprice which fails whenever I have a lot of retraction (I'm new to printing so it's quite possible that the root cause of all my troubles is buying filament from monoprice). When I hit an area with a lot of retraction it may work for a little while, but then it will start grinding and the stepper wheel will jump with no plastic coming out the nozzle. The plastic itself doesn't look too worn(see attachment of filament I took out after one of these grinding fail prints), so I don't think it's due to a flat spot being worn in the filament, but PLA from justpla works fine on the same print. I tried tweaking my retraction settings(retraction length: 1.4 - 4mm, speed: 40-60mm/s, printing temperature: went from 210C all the way to 230C...higher seemed to work better, but would still ultimately fail).

When I measured the filament I was getting 1.70 to 1.74, so I entered 1.72 as the nominal diamter into cura...and I suppose there could still be a rogue patch of filament that's way out of tolerance...but the fact that the print failure always coincides with lots of retraction I don't think diameter is the root cause.

Thanks for any comments/advice!

-Gavin
Attachments
monoprice PLA fail.jpg
monoprice PLA fail.jpg (1.9 MiB) Viewed 543 times
-Gavin

gavin167

Re: monoprice PLA filament?

Postby gavin167 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:02 pm

So the grinding and plugging problem persisted with filament from JustPLA. I haven't completely solved the problem, but I have been able to get some successful prints with some work.

1)I realized that I didn't have any thermal grease between the hot end and the heat sink so I ordered some of that off of amazon and it helped a little. I noticed that there was less temperature fluctuation on the feedback graph after adding the thermal grease.

2)I bumped the printing temperature to 240C, and printed with zero infill. Looking at the layer view in Cura my print will still fail if there is a lot of retraction in a single layer.

3)The other thing I did was fine tune my design files to match up to the real world specs of the printer (ie any wall thickness be a multiple of the nozzle diameter-.4mm). Even though Cura has these setting when I incorporated them into the design itself the print was successful vs counting out Cura to take care of it.

I still think there's either something I'm doing wrong or something wrong with the printer for frequency of my grinding issues. I can't even print Marvin from 3dhubs without a Jam on the default settings. I had to do a lot of tweaking to my design file and go back and forth between my design and the layer view in cura in order to minimize the amount of retraction done.

I also got a reply from Type A Machines support that they're experiencing higher than normal volume and their next response would be delayed. Not sure if that's just normal first time user traffic from rolling out the Pro units, or if other users are encountering a similar issue.

Anyone recently get a Pro unit and encountering the same issues??

-Gavin
-Gavin

Return to “Tips and Tricks”