GCode question for Andrew or any GCode guru

The place to share your best tips and tricks for the best prints.

Moderator: Elijah

jd_3d

GCode question for Andrew or any GCode guru

Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:09 am

I have about 20 GCode files that I have hand edited to get them the way I want. I think I have some sort of partial jam in my extruder right now as all of a sudden it is not printing 100% infill 'solid'. I've tried the piano wire and insert the drill bit trick but they haven't helped. It's possible it is something else, so to debug (and keep printing) I'd like to flow-tweak my GCode files.

There is this M221 command you alluded to in another post:
M221: set extrude factor override percentage
Example: M221 S70
S<factor in percent>- set extrude factor override percentage

My questions are
1) Is this supported on the Series 1?
2) Will this act the same as the 'Flow Tweak' in KISSlicer?
3) Do I just need to put this line in once in my file, or would a G92 reset it back to default? i.e., do I need to put it multiple times after each G92, or once is enough?

Thanks!

-Jonas

AndrewRutter

Re: GCode question for Andrew or any GCode guru

Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:57 pm

Series 1 is just running a configured version of Marlin.

M221 will work. It should just have to be added once at the beginning of the file. Or you can send the commands manually to play with it during a print.

Remember that all it does is scale the E values. So if you are not getting enough extrusion you want to run it above 100. But depending on your speeds it might actually make things worse.
I'd recommend trying to identify the cause of the problem though. Its a pain, but anything else is just a band-aid.

jd_3d

Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:24 pm

Thanks for the info Andrew, very helpful. I tried setting it to 150 and it didn't make much of a difference, I think because my hot end is partially blocked, so it just can't flow additional material. Will have to get the drill bit out again and see if I can cure it. Once I get dialed in again I'll play with this M221 command some more.

For the stuff I print I use the flow tweak parameter in KISSlicer quite often (ranging from 1.1 - 1.2) with great success. For thin-walled structures it is a great way to increase the strength of a part and has little effect on print quality. It does affect dimensional accuracy so if that is important you should not really be messing with this. Anyway, not saying everyone should go tweaking this, but for what I do it works great.

-Jonas

Kamilla

Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:07 am

Thank you for your posts! Very interesting!

Return to “Tips and Tricks”