CarbonFiber Reinforced PLA

The place to share your best tips and tricks for the best prints.

Moderator: Elijah

DrC at the Center

CarbonFiber Reinforced PLA

Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:08 pm

I've tried some of the Carbon Fiber Reinforced PLA and am having problems with the nozzle clogging. The first part I tried it on was an underwater turbine blade. It worked great where their was alot of material being moved. When it got to the blade section the nozzle started to clog. After clearing the nozzle I tried the print again and it failed at exactly the same place. While watching the extruder it looks like their are alot of retract filament commands taking place. Maybe that has something to do with the clogging problem.

I'm operating at 220 oC. I've tried higher (230) and lower (215) temperatures with the same results. I've also tried turning off the cooling fan and that seemed to make things worse.

Any thoughts?

jd_3d

Re: CarbonFiber Reinforced PLA

Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:48 pm

I haven't yet printed with ProtoPasta's CFPLA, but yeah, excessive retractions could cause it. Have you tried reducing or eliminating your retraction value? Alternatively, some slicers have a min travel for retraction, so you can set that larger to avoid many small retractions for small movements.

What nozzle are you using? G2 extruder, or something else?

DrC at the Center

Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:07 am

G2 extruder

Matthew

Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:59 pm

I have printed successfully with the ProtoPasta CFPLA. I'd recommend slicing with a newer version of Cura : http://www.typeamachines.com/pages/downloads . You can simply choose CFPLA from the Quickprint settings, and you should get good prints.

Remember - Expert mode in Cura does not bring over the settings from QuickPrint mode. Expert mode is (mostly) unsupported.

Can you post pics of your fails or successes with CFPLA?

-matthew-
I'm from support. I'm here to help.

Return to “Tips and Tricks”