Ideal tempratures for Type A PLA

The place to share your best tips and tricks for the best prints.

Moderator: Elijah

Elijah
Site Admin

Ideal tempratures for Type A PLA

Postby Elijah » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:53 pm

We had a big quality control session for a batch of Series Ones a few days ago. This allowed me to test some filament settings and make the following determination:

Type A Translucent PLA works best at 185 C. (No surprise there)
However, Type A Solid Colored PLA works better at 175 C.

This comes after a day spent doing test prints on eight different machines. Please tell us if that helps.

Cheers.
Elijah Post
Type A Machines

dsp39

Re: Ideal tempratures for Type A PLA

Postby dsp39 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:02 pm

Word. I lowered my print temps down to 175 a few days ago and experienced noticeable improvement.

It sounds like this is all material variation--did you find that your print heads were actually heated to the temperatures indicated by the software?

Rodwagner

Postby Rodwagner » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:30 pm

What I have discovered is that it depends on a few things what temperature is best. I have been running tests objects using Type A filament and find that I'm printing from 195-170 degrees depending on area being printed, layer height and feed rate. As any of these factors change I adjust the temperature I'm printing at to get optimum results. The biggest improvement to my determining the correct print temperature for an object is that with Type A filament color doesn't seem to matter within the type of material (i.e. solid,translucent).

pwiseman

Postby pwiseman » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:14 pm

Elijah wrote:Type A Translucent PLA works best at 185 C. (No surprise there)
However, Type A Solid Colored PLA works better at 175 C.

This comes after a day spent doing test prints on eight different machines. Please tell us if that helps.

Do you have some test objects you recommend? I just tried reducing my temperature to 175°C from my usual 195°C (for some solid color PLA) and had the perimeters (I use 3) separate, which (I'm just guessing) suggests to me that the temperature is too low. And the top surface, a full 5 layers @ .2mm, did not completely cover the infill. The print, in other words, was a disappointing failure!

Patrick

Elijah
Site Admin

Postby Elijah » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:29 pm

I also noticed that temperature depends on speed. For example, Miloh and I ran an experiment on fast printing. We ran at 220% the standard speed (about 130mm/s) and printed at a temperature of 220 Degrees! It held, but when we upped the speed to 250%, the temperature started to plummet and the print failed. We were using Type A Orange.

We've been using the spool holder as a test print, as each machine print's it's own.
Elijah Post
Type A Machines

LaserGnomes

Postby LaserGnomes » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:35 am

After reading this post we decided to try and print at 175c.

After making sure filament was able to extrude manually (it did) we ran about 5 prints like this.
So far so good! 175c seems to be doing the job.
We're going to step it 5c today for a few prints to see what happens to the final product if the material is "too hot" coming out of the hot end.

miterreader

Postby miterreader » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:43 am

Here's a little trick I use to fix support structure that detaches from the bed or doesn't form properly and comes loose. Just grab some scrap support, melt the end and use it to connect the loose support to a neighboring solid support, or, weld it to the bed. Just melt the end of the scrap, make sure it's wide enough to bridge the broken support to the solid support or from the broken piece to the bed. It's ugly and I know we really shouldn't have to babysit our prints but when a print takes over 24 hours, you don't want to take any chances. Super glue is another way to re-attach the broken support to the bed but it's sometimes difficult to maneuver the tip of the glue into the right place.
Join online Testking sample phr questions and testking to pass exam Testking lean six sigma jobs in first try. Our best quality and Northwestern University guide you well for real exam.

owen762

Postby owen762 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:33 am

If you have printed with ABS, you will find PLA to be harder, wear more slowly, and be easier to get a nice flat part with. PLA is less thermally contractive and much easier to print big parts with. The thing to consider is that being stiffer and harder also means that it is more brittle. If the part you're printing will be used where it might receive a lot of banging or sharp collisions, PLA may not be the best material.

mrSEADEMON

Postby mrSEADEMON » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:43 pm

I use 210 for PLA
and 240 for ABS
but it's REC filaments

Return to “Tips and Tricks”