(Re)Assembling your Extruder

A place to discuss problems you may be having and the solutions.

Moderator: Elijah

Elijah
Site Admin

(Re)Assembling your Extruder

Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:51 pm

Several people have asked me to do a video on how to (re)assemble the Winchester extruder. It can be especially tricky to fit the torsion spring onto the lever and the lever mount. This is a photo-filled post on how to rebuild a Winchester Extruder:

Start with your Motor, your laser cut motor mount, your hot end, your front and back clamp pieces, your spring, lever, and lever mounts. (And related fasteners)

I'm assuming nobody took the bearing apart because there would be no reason to do so to repair the Extruder.

Start by taking the longest bolt, and first putting an M3 spring washer through it, followed by a regular M3 washer. Then put it through the proper hole of the lever:

Now, put the spring on like so. Note that one of the legs fits snugly, as does the round part of the spring.

Now the "hard part" - fit on the thing you've just made onto the lever mount. Don't worry about the bearing part being above the lever mount. Fix that afterwards.

Now comes afterwards. Don't read into the position of my hands in the photo. This is a bit tricky. Note that the legs are still touching both the lever and the lever mount:

This should be your result:

Ok, all down hill from here. Now mount the lever mount onto the motor mount and E-motor with the same bolt like so:

Now for the other bolt: (Yeah this photo won't be winning any awards anytime soon.)

And now the back clamp with it's two socket cap bolts:

Followed by the hot end:

And lastly button it up with the front clamp and the pinchwheel. (not pictured)

To add the pinchwheel, slide it into position - the position being where the knurls line up with the filament opening (as in the hole into which the filament goes) made by the adjacency of the two clamp pieces. The knurls should NOT necessarily line up with the bearing (the tolerances are much less precise with the bearing than with the hole) Tighten it up using the built in set screw. Ignore the flat part of the motor shaft as there is no significant difference in performance while taking advantage of it.

And with that, you're done!

Have fun, print great things, dream big, and get creating!
Elijah Post
Type A Machines

Rodwagner

Re: (Re)Assembling your Extruder

Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:51 am

Nice job Elijah.....

eeyore

Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:54 pm

Thanks very very useful !!

ccrome

Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:26 am

Hey guys,
For the 2014 unit, I made a little jig that makes this really simple. It shouldn't be too hard to modify for the older units I'd guess.

Anyway, here's a little video of how it works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LQKAhVhUok

and the source files are here: https://code.google.com/p/caleb-typea-s ... attachment

Return to “Troubleshooting”