Windows 8 Arduino Install Tips

A place to discuss problems you may be having and the solutions.

Moderator: Elijah

Stefalopod

Windows 8 Arduino Install Tips

Postby Stefalopod » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:35 pm

Greetings Forum.

I'm getting set up to print using the Series 1 from a first gen Windows 8 machine, specifically: the Sony Vaio Duo 11.

I ran into a problem installing the Arduino driver, receiving an error that suggested I run the install with administrator approval. I ran it as administrater, and I ran it in compatibility for Win7 and WinXP with no success, so I ended up referring to some external forums to solve it.

Evidently Widows 8 will not permit installation of unsigned drivers, and the Arduino driver is unsigned, so...

The easiest way to solve the problem is to follow the directions below:

*Please note, you may need a keyboard.

1) Open the charms bar (Admin Edit: to clarafy, the charms bar is what you see by mousing over to the top right of your screen)
2) Select the "Settings" charm
3) Select "Change PC settings"
4) Scroll down and select "General" in the left hand menu
5) On the right-hand side of the screen under "General" scroll all the way down to where it says "Advanced start up" and select the "Restart Now" button below
6) The Machine will restart to the advanced boot screen. At the top of the screen you will see "Choose an Option" select "troubleshoot"
7) On the "Troubleshoot" screen select advanced options
8) On the "Advanced Options" screen select "Startup settings"
9) On the "Startup settings" screen select "Restart"
10) The machine will restart to a screen titled "Startup Settings," type the number 7 to select "Disable driver signature enforcement"
11) The computer will restart to the windows 8 start screen. Go to the desktop, right click the driver file, select "Run As Administrator" and accept all prompts to install the driver.
12) Restart the computer after the driver is finished installing and your Arduino should be installed and instantly located by your printer manager software.

Mawaba_3D

Re: Windows 8 Arduino Install Tips

Postby Mawaba_3D » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:41 pm

Question....I get as far as step #9, but my computer never restarts. I have tried this a half dozen times, but it just stays in limbo, power light on, but monitor is blank. I have to unplug the power cord to get it restarted. Any ideas? Thanks, Mark
Edit....never mind, I found a different method to get it working.

razabashir

Postby razabashir » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:37 pm

get as far as step #9, but my computer never restarts. I have tried this a half dozen times, but it just stays in limbo, power light on, but monitor is blank. I have to unplug the power cord to get it restarted. Any ideas? Thanks, Mark
Edit....never mind, I found a different method to get it working.
Our Actual learn spanish gre exam provide you learn to speak french pass guarantee. You can get access to quincy toefl and www.hood.edu with multiple prep resources of Lynn University

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:14 pm

I have learned that in Windows 8 you can simply press shift while clicking on Power > Restart to get to the troubleshooting boot options.
I'm from support. I'm here to help.

Return to “Troubleshooting”