Cura on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - Stuck on splash screen

Discuss Cura Type A, our fork of the Cura slicing software, here. Unstable releases may be made available in this section.

Moderator: Elijah

sawozny

Cura on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - Stuck on splash screen

Postby sawozny » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:07 am

So, I installed the Cura 1.4.1 found in https://bitbucket.org/typeamachines/cur ... _amd64.deb with "sudo dpkg -i ./Downloads/cura_1.4.1-debian_amd64.deb" followed by "sudo apt-get install -f" to fix any dependencies. Then I click on the Ubuntu Button / BFB and type "Cura" which dutifully presents me the application option to click on. When I do so, the Cura Type A Machines orange splash box comes up, bu the application itself never launches. I currently have a workaround bouncing STLs off a Windows install and using it to get GCode onto my S1P, but I'd like a 1 box solution where I run my FreeCAD instance.

Anybody else run into this? Did I do something wrong? Any suggestions where to go looking through logs for the culprit (aside from the standards which I, admittedly, haven't done yet in the hopes somebody has already seen this and knows the fix)?

Thanks,

Scott

kwardle

Re: Cura on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - Stuck on splash screen

Postby kwardle » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:26 pm

Hey there. I had the same problem. As I recall, if you start it up from the command line instead you will see it complains about some missing python libraries. I don't remember which exactly, but there is info on the web for the mainline Cura branch (https://ultimaker.com/en/community/2154 ... u-1604-lts). I installed these and also had to resolve a couple additional errors. I am not certain if it is the only one, but one change I had to make was to edit several files /usr/share/cura/Cura/gui/ and change the import line in each from:

from wx.lib.pubsub import Publisher as pub

to:

from wx.lib.pubsub import setuparg1
from wx.lib.pubsub import pub

Without the "setuparg1" part it seems to work but will not be able to auto-update and re-slice when changes are made to settings which would trigger this. I have not had a chance to test everything, but so far it appears to be working.

Return to “Cura Type A”