Plywood + Cura Type A ?

A New Forum specifically for owners of the 2012/2013 Plywood Series 1.

Moderator: Elijah

bshirley

Plywood + Cura Type A ?

Postby bshirley » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:37 pm

The announcement for the Cura Type A 1.4 is at the top of this group.
Can it work with the plywood Series 1, or is it just a quirk of the forum software that it's visible there?

-bill

jarhead

Re: Plywood + Cura Type A ?

Postby jarhead » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:33 am

Why would it not work?

bshirley

Postby bshirley » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:04 pm

The first sentence in the Cura manual is

"Cura for Type A Machines is a desktop slicing software package optimized to support the 2014 Series 1 3D Printer."

Elijah
Site Admin

Postby Elijah » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:44 pm

The latest version of Cura Type A does not have out-of-the box support for the plywood Series 1 models.

However, it's not hard to use the new versions of Cura with 2013 machines or earlier. You'll have to create a new machine profile and enter the specs of the plywood machines manually. These specs would include build volume, nozzle diameter, gcode flavor (It's marlin) and likely a few other settings.

We are well aware that there are many plywood machines that are still in operation. I personally have two of them! In fact, machine number 18 was still in operation as of earlier this year, according to my information!

But we needed to devote our resources to the machine we're selling now, instead of supporting that legacy generation of machines that we still love and will never forget.

So the Plywood machine profiles are out. But not hard to recreate by any stretch! Go forth and slice!
Elijah Post
Type A Machines

bshirley

Postby bshirley » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:01 pm

Got Cura 1.4.0 set up. Couldn't manage adding a printer (not sure what Serial # was supposed to be), the API request was the first hint that it wanted OctoPrint. So I installed that on my Mac. But the add printer, hung on "Configuring…"

I did manage to save out the g-code, then load it into OctoPrint. "Working fine" (i.e. some custom tweaking seems in order).

So, adding the printer is the next hurdle. Any insights?
(I have an OctoPi i'd love to get to next. 8-) )

bshirley

Postby bshirley » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:56 am

clarification from previous post,

In Cura 1.4.0, when I try to Machine->Add Printer… it expects "Serial number is 4-6 digits".
My serial number is 122. "Add Printer" doesn't enable unless it's 4 digits.
I prepend a 0, it enables, but when I press "Add Printer" it print's in blue text "Configuring…" and never completes.

I'm not sure if there's some hard code (previously, it said it expected Serial # 1000-…)

I'm assuming the Cura Type A code is internal and not publicly visible on github?

Elijah
Site Admin

Postby Elijah » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:20 am

bshirley wrote:clarification from previous post,

In Cura 1.4.0, when I try to Machine->Add Printer… it expects "Serial number is 4-6 digits".
My serial number is 122. "Add Printer" doesn't enable unless it's 4 digits.
I prepend a 0, it enables, but when I press "Add Printer" it print's in blue text "Configuring…" and never completes.

I'm not sure if there's some hard code (previously, it said it expected Serial # 1000-…)

I'm assuming the Cura Type A code is internal and not publicly visible on github?

Here's a link to our repo: https://bitbucket.org/typeamachines/cura

I think Cura Type A would be looking for your hostname to be "series1-0122" to get it to work.

Could also have something to do with the API key. We forked OctoPrint a while ago, so it's possible that our API keys are different in some way. I would try this myself, but I named my Plywood Series 1 after a baseball player when I added OctoPi...
Elijah Post
Type A Machines

bshirley

Postby bshirley » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:28 am

Elijah wrote:I think Cura Type A would be looking for your hostname to be "series1-0122" to get it to work.

The New Printer window has two fields, Serial Number: and API Key.
The Add Printer button is only enabled when there are 4, 5, or 6 characters in the serial field.
I've tried 000122 and 0122.

Elijah
Site Admin

Postby Elijah » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:02 pm

In the Linux image that you use, you would need to change your hostname to "series1-0122" as opposed to simply "0122"
Elijah Post
Type A Machines

d3cubed

Postby d3cubed » Tue May 10, 2016 1:07 am

Hi I've managed to get my Tomato box to connect under windows 10- - Turns out I must have forgotten 230400 being the baud rate, I however need some help regarding setting up the Plywood series 1 on Cura - however can't find a serial no and have no idea of where to get the api - is there a profile that someone can supply or does this have to be done manually?

Return to “Plywood Series 1”