Day 43 of Non Funtioning Unit

A space for working on issues specific to Series 1. Includes Beta groups and production machines.

Moderator: Elijah

bflo2000

Day 43 of Non Funtioning Unit

Postby bflo2000 » Thu May 22, 2014 7:11 am

I am on day 43 of having a beta (B45) machine that is now a modern sculpture of obsolescence.

4-9-14: Basically, my unit started dropping temperature, and would no longer print, this was coupled with these other issue:
1.) the pinch wheel pressure was not sufficient to move enough filament, and I had been having to increase temperature
2.) The wiring on the toolhead was getting snagged on the z-endstop
3.) The Y Axis is catching on the case and stopping the toolhead from moving
4.) Wireless connectivity in non-functioning.

4-23-14: received some replacement cables, but the connectors on the cables were reversed so I could not use them, and had to wait for a 2nd set of cables to arrive.

5-3-14: Received 2nd set of cables. Once I attached the 2nd cable the temperature was still not holding, and I confirmed that it was the wiring that was going into the toolhead. After letting support know about this I did not hear back for over a week, so I removed the toolhead, and sent it back for repair.

5-20-14 Now I am being told that because "The bolts that hold the motor in place have been removed, and the X-axis linear slide carriage has been removed from the slide. This renders both the motor and the carriage destroyed. These parts are not covered under the warranty in this context. I can send the toolhead back in its current state or I can repair the tool head, and send it back to you for the cost of the parts, which will be about $100."

I am confused how this destroys both the toolhead and carriage, and don't recall seeing anything warning about this. And as far as I can tell the carriage is fine (on my side). I didn't do anything to stress the toolhead, and just removed the belt for the connector. I was under the impression that this was opensource, and wouldn't think that removing a part would destroy it. If someone had gotten back to me in a resonable amount of time this would not have been a issue.

Also, the response is a little rude, saying that I either pay the $100 or they will return a non functioning part for a non-functioning unit.

I'm fine with paying the $100 if I did something that is not covered under the warranty, but this is turning into a major inconvenience.

Support is getting spottier and spottier, and responses are getting dragged out. Average response times are between 4 -8 days now, and I don't see any end in sight. Lots of excuses for the delays and the communication could use some work. If the support team is out, let us know. If the whole company is attending Maker Faire let us know. I think we can understand that there are other things that might sometimes take priority, but non-communication is just poor customer service.

This is coupled with the fact that my first unit had to be replaced due to the extruder completely melting, and almost catching on fire (or at least significant smoke damage). This was another several week delay coupled with the initial 4 month delay on the shipments.

I realize this is a beta program, but you would think that the early adopters would get some sort of priority from a service standpoint, and there would be a active attempt to fix these issues.

I am not normally one to complain, and like to solve my own problems, but I think the move to the new warehouse has put the customer experience on the back burner. This is my 1st Type A Machines product, and basically, I was sold by the Make Magazine review of the original unit that they produced quality products. I also stopped by their original location at Tech Shop and talked to a few of the people there that seemed to really care about what they we're doing. Based on that, I decided to buy their product (and there we're a lot of competing choices) and wait for the new unit. At this point I am starting to think that I made the wrong decision. I am not sure what I have to do to get things moving, but just like everyone, I am extremely busy, and dealing with this constant stream of issues is getting taxing. This is not a insignificant amount of money to spend on a printer, especially with the multitude of new printers being released everyday. I've had other beta printers that I thought we're buggy, and took a lot of time to troubleshot, but this is now leading the pack by far.

so in conclusion May 22nd 2014 - Day 43 of the Series1 debacle.

Anyone else having these issues?

bflo2000

Re: Day 43 of Non Funtioning Unit

Postby bflo2000 » Mon May 26, 2014 7:59 pm

Day 47 of the Series1 debacle - no updates

LaserGnomes

Postby LaserGnomes » Tue May 27, 2014 1:23 pm

You took apart the MOTOR to solve a wiring problem?

Then you disassembled a mated pair of rail/bearings? To.... ???? send back the entire assembly? The wiring problem is literally 4 bolts on the side of the PCB.

Fairly certain support would not advise you to do either of those things to resolve a wiring problem.
The entire unit is modular... removing the x rail would never be required.

" If someone had gotten back to me in a resonable amount of time this would not have been a issue."
So due to lack of response time you felt that completely dismantling the machine was a good course of action?

I'm personally just curious. I've seen the unit you sent back... it's completely FUBAR'd man. Why would take apart the motor? Yes the unit is opensource.. however the NEMA motor has no usable addressable parts inside.

Feel for you on your problems... we've experienced similar with our Beta unit. But at some point you have to own up to the additional problems you caused by undirected disassembly of a beta product.
Especially as you already know the turn around time to get replaced parts.

-1 cent
-LG

bflo2000

Postby bflo2000 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:08 pm

Hi there,

I understand you are intimately familiar with the TypeA products, but most of us are not. I have built and rebuilt a few other units, and may not have taken into consideration that this unit is more complex.

It seemed there we're multiple issues with the boards on the motor, so I assumed that it would be easier just to send the whole assembly back.

There's a lot of issue with this unit, but if I couldn't get the toolhead working what can I do?

The fan stopped working, The Extruder wasn't heating, and the toolhead wasn't moving on any axis,

I'd been waiting 2 weeks to get a answer on this. In your opinion, when do you make the decision that some action is better than no action (whether right or wrong)? Should I have just sent the whole unit back?

The other issues are that the tool head is getting snagged at various points on the cage, there is stuttering going on with the movement, and under extrusion is common. All of these can be dealt with.

If there was something in the documentation saying that removing the toolhead would void the warranty or would destroy the part, I of course would not have done it. I've remove similar parts before on other machines and it has never caused problems.

If you step back and look at this from a technical standpoint, there is no real indicator that this would cause the problems that apparently this caused.

At this point we're at day 60 of having a non-functional unit.

I went into this beta knowing that there we're going to be issues (probably a lot), and I felt fully capable of dealing with most. The one that is the causing the most issues is the lack of timely communication. Sometimes days, sometimes weeks before you get answers. Also, there should be some sort of priority system in place for the beta users that have been down for a long time. There should be some consistent standards for supporting a new product.

If you recall, my first unit (I think B25) was completely messed up right out of the box and the extruder almost caught on fire, melted down and that whole unit needed to be sent back and replaced. And that was after being delayed for months on the originally promised ship date.

If this is about me taking responsibility for messing up the unit, I take responsibility for removing the toolhead. The other issues that I still have to deal with are design flaws that I did not create. If you saw the cables I sent back, you will see they we're engineered backwards.

I believe you personally have many of these machines and have been working with TypeA for a long time. I have not. If your there onsite and saw my machine, then your probably intimately familiar with the entire operations. I am not. I'm not a idiot, and am more technical than most, and would not knowingly damage a part. I honestly just want to get this thing functional again.

Thanks

Espen

Postby Espen » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:41 pm

Hey there,

I believe we have spoken before on the phone, and that I offered a full refund or alternatively replacement parts + a walkthrough? If that wasn't communicated, then please do not hesitate to contact me. I know our tech support is taking your situation very seriously and doing what they can for you but if you are still experiencing issues or am unhappy then please feel free to contact me directly at Espen@typeamachines.com

It always sucks when you and other customers have trouble with their machine - we take a lot of pride in building great product and do a minimum of 3 successful prints on every machine we ship + a crazy battery of QC tests at every step of assembly (including final assembly). Once in a while we screw up or something goes wrong in shipping, and then we do our best to take care of you and improve our process. We've got a great tech support team - they have slow days and busy days but on average we get back to everyone within 48 hours. That said there is plenty of room for improvement (as you know), and I am always happy to hear feedback from everyone on how we can improve.

Best wishes,

Espen

P.S. Our next version of the manual will specifically say not to disassemble the motor - speaking as the guy whom fried the first Series 1 ever to go to Europe just before a big demo by plugging it in without a converter, I know first hand how easy it is to get lost without good instructions. Which by the way is why all our power supplies now have auto switching ;)

bflo2000

Postby bflo2000 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:36 am

Hi Espen,

We did speak, and I did appreciate your offer, and I do want to continue to work with TypeA. Matthew has been very responsive and has already shipped the new parts.

My response above is just addressing LaserGnomes point that that I must have been crazy to send back the toolhead, as if that is common knowledge.

Your support team is normally responsive, and the main issue was that there we're two weeks when (due to other circumstances, like Makerfaire) there we're no responses. And this was after my machine had been down for over a month. If it was made clear that there would be additional delays in response times then I don't think it would have been a big deal.

Thanks for your support, and I am looking forward to getting my machine up and running.

Brian

Espen

Postby Espen » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:19 pm

Me too! Let me know if you have any other issues ;)

Return to “Series 1”