Long Prints.. How?

A space for working on issues specific to Series 1. Includes Beta groups and production machines.

Moderator: Elijah

LaserGnomes

Long Prints.. How?

Postby LaserGnomes » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:42 pm

Got an email about not leaving printer unattended.

Also unable to upload any GCO that's over a 48hour print period.

I'm trying to utilize less than half the available print area.

Please advise course of action to obtain results as advertised for this large build volume printer with regards to these current limitations.

File is in GCO sliced with KISS and is 116mb... 58 hours.

-LG
Attachments
WTF.jpg
WTF.jpg (123.9 KiB) Viewed 2964 times

Miloh

Re: Long Prints.. How?

Postby Miloh » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:12 pm

What is the file size of the gcode you want to upload?

I've had trouble uploading 90Mb and 100Mb test files via the web interface, and I've filed a bug in our internal system that may make it to Octoprint's issue tracker.

The quick work-around is to use ssh (browser based or puTTy, etc), get on the Series 1 2014 in a shell, and install Samba (file sharing compatible with OS X and Windows),

Update the package manager first!
$sudo apt-get update

Next, install Samba and generate a user on ubuntu via CLI (over ssh). There are great instructions on how to perform CLI tasks like these on askubuntu.com, I'm providing a link below which should take you through it step by step. Once you get to the step for configuration, stop and come back here to finish up a special config I've included below for your 2014 Series 1 machine.
http://goo.gl/cUvXoB

One samba is installed, use the following changes to your config file found in /etc/samba/smb.conf instead of the ones suggested in the how-to above:

Code: Select all

[Series 1 Uploads]
path = "/home/ubuntu/.series 1/uploads"
create mask = 664    # IME this doesn't work
force create mode = 664  #
security mask = 664  # this works to mask existing upload
force security mode = 664

force directory mode = 0000
directory mask = 2775
force directory mode = 2775
directory security mask = 2775
force directory security mode = 2775

force group = ubuntu
force user = ubuntu
available = yes
valid users = ubuntu
read only = no
browseable = yes
public = yes
writable = yes

Go back to the instructions I linked to above and find out how to restart smbd and nmbd (the samba services) after you change the config file.

If everything works, then the 'uploads' directory from the config snippet I pasted above should become available over the network share with a modicrum of security. The username and password for read/write access to the uploads directory should be the same as the ones you use for the shell.

You can even try slicing directly to the shared directory and refreshing Octoprint to spot the files. Large file direct slicing has not been tested, and as for any large file transfers over LAN wifi/wired networks, many factors can effect the speed and consistency of the connection.

Please let us know how this works out for you. This is very beta right now and your feedback is crucial to fix and flesh out any issues in these instructions.

LaserGnomes

Postby LaserGnomes » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:05 pm

That actually worked the first time!
For those following along at home line which states
"directory security mask 2775"
should be
"directory security mask = 2775"

Otherwise is great. Mapped the upload folder and dragged a 130mb file to the printer in about 10seconds.
Preferred!

-LG

Miloh

Postby Miloh » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:45 pm

Thanks LG,
Fixed the config snipped to show "directory security mask = 2775"

This *should* work with PAM so that if you change your default user password with the CLI passwd utility on your 2014 Series 1, the fileshare's password changes with it.

I've had trouble with that mechanism, so I would like to hear if there are any problems in that specific use case.

Also note: installing packages to the base system install is a great way to get more features from your 2014 Series 1, but we're all testing things as we go. Boot time could be slowed and services can do unpredictable things. Try to go slow and report back here with any problems, the community will be the key to getting reliable services and testing interesting new ideas for expansion.

LaserGnomes

Postby LaserGnomes » Wed May 07, 2014 2:20 pm

NoobTip: To type a space in terminal as required to get to the /.series 1/ folder.. you have to type a forwardslash before the space like this

/.series\ 1/

Otherwise you'll end up in the /.series/ folder which exists.. more than likely... because whom ever made the image also tried CP and didn't forward slash ; )

-LG

Miloh

Postby Miloh » Wed May 07, 2014 4:47 pm

you can also put the argument in single quotes.

$cd '.series 1'

works to change directory to the dot directory.

LaserGnomes

Postby LaserGnomes » Tue May 27, 2014 1:50 pm

Just to follow up... I'm officially requesting that this service be automatically installed on the images.

The SAMBA feature is VERY usable when mapping the folder. You can slice and dump the gco directly to the printer. It's very stable. We've had countless issues even holding files on a thumb drive or xfering to a external drive attached to a shared router for temporary transfers.

The direct connection is SOLID! Highly recommend it.

Also it allows for greater than 100mb files... which is basically all we print on this massive build volume. So that should be considered (large build volume.. needs large file support).

-LG

Miloh

Postby Miloh » Wed May 28, 2014 5:49 pm

thanks for the feedback Justin, I just need to submit a pull request and get the changes checked out and approved, although the size of samba is suboptimal.

There are a few other systems that could work also that would allow for transfer with mobile devices: upnp or universal plug and play. I believe drawback is that these aren't generally set up at the OS level like network shares with a system like Samba.

ccrome

Postby ccrome » Wed May 28, 2014 8:34 pm

Miloh wrote:although the size of samba is suboptimal.

??? Isn't it just a drop in the bucket of a linux install. You can barely buy SD cards as small as 4GB anymore. Why care?

jva

Postby jva » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:29 pm

I have installed samba using the directions linked to at help.ubuntu.com but I cannot make the folder ("Failed to add entry for user julianva.") and I am stuck at that point. Please post simple instructions to allow uploads of gcode files larger than 100MB.

Return to “Series 1”