Bad Stepper Motor?

A space for working on issues specific to Series 1. Includes Beta groups and production machines.

Moderator: Elijah

nickexists

Bad Stepper Motor?

Postby nickexists » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:56 am

I was having a lot of problems with skipping along the y-axis. After looking into I found that this was caused by a misbehaving motor. One of the y-axis motors works fine but the other one mostly just shakes a little when it should be turning. I tried adjusting it's driver and when that didn't work I bought some extra A4988's (https://www.amazon.com/Robotlinking-Ste ... ords=a4988) but they are also not working.

Symptoms: The motor usually just shakes back and forth. With very careful adjustment I can get the motor to spin but I have found that the direction of spin appears to be entirely random.

Does anyone know steps I can take to figure out what the problem is?

jarhead

Re: Bad Stepper Motor?

Postby jarhead » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:34 am

Start by swapping the 2 motors at the drivers. see if it goes to the other motor or stays with the same one.
If stays, it's a problem from the connector to the motor.
If goes, it's a problem before the connector (ie electronics.)
Check the wiring. Might have a pinch or an actual open in it. Best way would be with an ohmmeter.

nickexists

Re: Bad Stepper Motor?

Postby nickexists » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:31 am

Thanks. After swapping the motors I confirmed that it was a problem with the motor and not the electronics. I found that one of the two sets of coils did not show any conductance. After taking off the back plate I found that the connector that is near to the motor had been melted (too much current?). This was the cause of the bad connection.

Return to “Series 1”