MeshMixer 3.0?

A space for working on issues specific to Series 1. Includes Beta groups and production machines.

Moderator: Elijah

Trilo

MeshMixer 3.0?

Postby Trilo » Wed May 04, 2016 11:56 am

Has anyone had any luck using MeshMixer 3.0 with a Type A Machines printer? I've downloaded and used the app a few times, everything seems to be okay and it even has listings for the Type A Machines 3D printer.... but I can not get designs that went through MeshMixer to print.

Right now, I'm mostly interested in trying to use MM's overhang supports (it uses the tree branch method, which can save both time and material), though it looks like a pretty cool design app and in time I could see myself using it for a lot more. After finishing up in MM, I try either using the export to STL (binary) or choose print and then save the resulting file to STL, and then I load it into Cura 1.4.2.

The file takes a little while to load, but does load up in the Cura app - though it doesn't seem to recognize the presence of the support structures and still shows all the hotspots that the model would normally show if it didn't have any supports. Regardless of whether I'm in simple or expert mode, after I save the gcode out and try to load it into OctoPrint, it returns an undefined error.

I'm not sure if it's a mistake I'm making or something I've overlooked, an issue with the program, or a compatibility issue with the printer (it's one of the older Series 1 printers with a metal frame but the G1 extruder). Has anybody else used MeshMixer 3.0 successfully? Any ideas?

Trilo

Re: MeshMixer 3.0?

Postby Trilo » Tue May 10, 2016 9:13 pm

A quick update... I was not able to get it to work with the Series 1 w/G1 extruder, and we have since upgraded to the Series 1 Pro. Tinkering around with the Series 1 Pro, I think that what did the trick was clicking on 'Convert To Solid' on the Overhang panel.

nkloski

Postby nkloski » Wed May 11, 2016 8:01 pm

I humbly submit my education site:

http://www.honeypoint3d.com/education

..I created over 18 hours of Meshmixer training for either $79 (lifetime access) or $20/month for that class as well as all other paid classes on the site. A lot of MM questions are answered there, and I use Meshmixer daily with the 3x TAM printers we have. I am also actively working on a Fusion 360 class which will round out the platform nicely.

And yes, Convert to Solid is the key when using the overhangs. Also be careful of making said supports too thin....unless your machine is calibrated perfectly, thin tree-like MM supports can get knocked over if your printer is even slightly over-extruding.

Trilo

Postby Trilo » Thu May 12, 2016 7:23 pm

Thanks - I'd seen the courseware linked on the Mesh Mixer site, but am not sure if I'm ready to take the plunge just yet.

Return to “Series 1”