Stepper Driver Comparison for upgrade

A space for working on issues specific to Series 1. Includes Beta groups and production machines.

Moderator: Elijah

NoNaym

Re: Stepper Driver Comparison for upgrade

Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:24 pm

nkloski wrote:And on my second printer, I was also getting Y-skips after about 30 minutes without the heatsinks. On this second printer I also applied these:

http://www.amazon.com/Cosmos-Aluminum-C ... 007XACV8O/

(actually two of these on the tops of each driver)...and was able to get a good print, even in a warm garage. I would suggest trying these heatsinks if you get the SilentStepSticks.

I just got my shipment of SilentStepSticks as well as the same heatsinks you have. After installing everything including two heatsinks on the top of each SSS, I am definitely getting Y-skips in addition to skips and similar issues on just about all axes as far as I can tell. The heatsinks on all of the SSSs just about burn my finger if I touch them, so it really does appear to be a heat related issue (if not more?). I am definitely amazed at how quiet these things make the stepper motors, but I haven't quite got them producing usable prints yet...

UPDATE: I decided to try dropping the voltages down to about 1.0v just to see if it would make any kind of difference, and it seems like all the axes (except for Z) are working much better without skipping. My Z-axis on the other hand refuses to move during prints, but moves just fine using the controls in OctoPrint. I temporarily replaced my Z-axis SSS with the stock driver and am getting accurate prints with SSSs on all the other axes set at 1.0v, but will definitely spend some more time experimenting with these to see what works best for my 2014 Series 1. Will definitely report back with any further success or other useful info.

mrSEADEMON

Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:34 pm

I forgot to write. I installed radiators. I also installed a fan of rumba. you can not leave without a fan rumba.

NoNaym

Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:33 pm

Dropped the voltages on all 5 of my SSSs down to 0.95V and haven't had any skipping/overheating yet. Print quality is on point, and noise level is still super quiet. Just started a large print, and will report back on how it goes later. Hope this helps others experimenting with SilentStepSticks.

UPDATE: Looks like my Z-axis still seems to overheat for some reason (just takes a longer before it stops moving), even after swapping the driver from one of the other motors/slots. Probably going to keep experimenting with voltages, as it has definitely made a difference in terms of longevity before overheating. Not really sure however what other affects dropping the voltage may have on how the motors act, but all seems okay for now except for the Z-axis. Using stock driver for Z-for now until I have more time to toy around.

ANOTHER UPDATE: That long print failed a few hours (3-5 hours?) in, due to some other driver(s) overheating. Will be trying that print again after further lowering the voltages a little later.

LAST UPDATE IN THIS POST: Got that long print to succeed with SSSs set at 0.90V driving the four X, Y, and Extruder motors, while I left the stock driver on my Z-axis (which still seems to fail immediately when there is a SSS driving it). SSS on Z overheats at the beginning of a print and causes Z to stay in place while the rest of the print continues... could this be a Marlin issue?
Last edited by NoNaym on Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:45 pm, edited 8 times in total.

jd_3d

Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:43 pm

NoNaym wrote:Dropped the voltages on all 5 of my SSSs down to 0.95v and haven't had any skipping/overheating yet. Print quality is on point, and noise level is still super quiet. Just started a large print, and will report back on how it goes later. Hope this helps others experimenting with SilentStepSticks.

Did you have corduroy issues before, and has the SSS helped to eliminate the corduroy issue? I'd be interested in seeing any before and after shots if you have any.

NoNaym

Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:47 pm

So far it does look like they have helped a little with corduroy, but not completely eliminating it. Seems like it is not as extreme, but definitely still there.

Sorry, I don't have any photos worth showing just yet.

Fast one

Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:11 am

Is all this only for the older 2014 printers? Do the 2015 printers have better drivers and stepper motors or should they be upgraded?

Elijah
Site Admin

Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:24 pm

"2015" Machines have the newer Stepper Drivers, while 2014 Machines can upgrade with changes being made to the jumper configurations (and that's all)
Elijah Post
Type A Machines

JohnR

Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:59 pm

Elijah,

What jumper config changes are needed? I just received the new drivers for my 2014 Series 1 (B0049). I tried putting them in, but the z-axis was moving the opposite direction from what it was and made an awful noise when doing so. Installing the old drivers made the printer proceed as was normal, fortunately.

-John

mrSEADEMON

Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:33 pm

You need change cabile direction on all axe and thats all. Or change direction on rumba firmware

Return to “Series 1”