Stepper Driver Comparison for upgrade

A space for working on issues specific to Series 1. Includes Beta groups and production machines.

Moderator: Elijah

mrSEADEMON

Re: Stepper Driver Comparison for upgrade

Postby mrSEADEMON » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:45 am

I checked the driver. I'm just ecstatic. almost complete silence. Only heard the fans :)))
see this on my topic
http://forum.typeamachines.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=920&p=6544#p6544

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:33 am

We have a few sets of the TMC2100s, and they're very nice. We're using them in silent mode, and they are much quieter than the Allegros or the DRVs.

I asked Andrew about the "higher torque motors" and he says these are lower torque than the stock TAM motors. We have not tried the newer motors yet.

On filament skipping/extruder clicking - I find that lowering the voltage usually helps. The clicking is from the stepper driver overheating, and skipping steps.

-matthew-
I'm from support. I'm here to help.

mrSEADEMON

Postby mrSEADEMON » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:02 am

TMC2100 when use smaller voltage hase problem with printing models. 1.14 printing good

nkloski

Postby nkloski » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:54 pm

Are the Pololu A4988 Black controllers a drop-in replacement for the controllers that ship with the Series 2014? Or should different voltages be expected?

Elijah
Site Admin

Postby Elijah » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:22 pm

Here's another good option. We're looking into it as well. It is supposed to be very robust and more quiet than the ambient noise of the room we were testing in.

http://www.watterott.com/en/SilentStepStick
Elijah Post
Type A Machines

jd_3d

Postby jd_3d » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:37 pm

What's the time frame for being able to buy a drop-in set of these drivers for the 2014s? I'd love to see them in the Labs shop section soon! I've heard they should help with corduroy/ripples issues too.

Elijah wrote:Here's another good option. We're looking into it as well. It is supposed to be very robust and more quiet than the ambient noise of the room we were testing in.

http://www.watterott.com/en/SilentStepStick

mrSEADEMON

Postby mrSEADEMON » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:49 pm

I am very pleased with these drivers. The loudest in my printer now it's fans. I got to design changes printer :) Changed the item X axis All the changes described in his section of the forum on the modification.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=920

Elijah
Site Admin

Postby Elijah » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:38 pm

No word on timeframe. But they are available through various online shops.
Elijah Post
Type A Machines

rwcorbett74

Postby rwcorbett74 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:19 pm

I'm not very good with electronics, but how to lower the voltage for the extruder to prevent the filament from skipping/clicking?

I have prints coming off of my TAM 2014 Series that have the "corduroy" effect that I see in other people's posts or some parts of layers where no extrusion happens and it looks like part of the 3D print is missing.

I have a filament wiper/oiler in place that has significantly improved my prints, but I'm still having issues.

I've seen posts on upgrading the extruder motor and/or stepper motors, but I don't know if I'm ready to take on that task just yet. My TAM has start running a lot louder than it did when I first started using it when I was getting amazing prints. Now my prints are ok, but not perfect. I hear motors clicking and it seems that the extruder boom moves in a more "jerky" manner than it did originally.

I don't if I've done something to foul my motors or if this is something that starts appearing after the machine has been "broken in". It would be great to see some troubleshooting tips/maintenance suggestions since the machine didn't come with anything other than a quick start guide.

Thanks!

Matthew wrote:We have a few sets of the TMC2100s, and they're very nice. We're using them in silent mode, and they are much quieter than the Allegros or the DRVs.

I asked Andrew about the "higher torque motors" and he says these are lower torque than the stock TAM motors. We have not tried the newer motors yet.

On filament skipping/extruder clicking - I find that lowering the voltage usually helps. The clicking is from the stepper driver overheating, and skipping steps.

-matthew-

nkloski

Postby nkloski » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:52 pm

Are the TMC2100 drivers a dropin replacement for the controllers that are already installed in the printer from TAM?

Return to “Series 1”