Download 2014/2015 TAM image for BBB

A space for working on issues specific to Series 1. Includes Beta groups and production machines.

Moderator: Elijah

Matthew

Download 2014/2015 TAM image for BBB

Postby Matthew » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:10 pm

We're testing out a downloadable image file for the MicroSD card in the BeagleBone Black (BBB). Use this image if you have a 2014 machine with a serial number from 1000-1600. This image is numerated to series1-1000, so the correct URL for this card is series1-1000:5000 . https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bzxuh ... authuser=0 This card can be numerated if you're running multiple Series 1's in one network. Please contact support for information on numerating the image. If we get enough interest, we'll write up a longer post on our numerate process.

Here is the image for the 2015 Series 1 - Standard or Pro : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzxuhL ... sp=sharing Use this image for all 2015 machines numbered 2000+. This image defaults to series1-2000.local:5000 . We will have a version that can be easily numerated in the near future. This 2015 image can also run on the 2014 machine. For the wifi AP mode to work, you'll need to install the TP-Link TL-WN722N dongle : http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WN722N ... p-link+722

You can flash your SD card under Windows using Win32 Disk Imager : http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

To flash the card under OSX, try the Pi-Baker program : http://www.tweaking4all.com/hardware/ra ... -pi-baker/

On Linux you can use dd to copy the img file to the sd card. You'll need to verify your SD card slot, but the command should be something like :
sudo dd if="BBB_TAM.img" of="/dev/mmcblk0" bs=4M

Under Linux, I prefer PV, because it gives you a visual readout of the time left for the transfer. You may need to install pv, but it is in most repos.:
sudo pv BBB_TAM.img | sudo dd of="/dev/mmcblk0" bs=4M

Please contact us at support.typeamachines.com if you have any issues with this disk image.

-matthew-
Last edited by Matthew on Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I'm from support. I'm here to help.

mrSEADEMON

Re: Download TAM image for BBB

Postby mrSEADEMON » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:27 am

thanks all work :) great job
Can you add Full Octoprint with HotBead and Camera support?

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:21 am

We're working on it.... : )

The webcam is mainly a permissions issue. The way I did it, I needed to create a uDev rule for video1. The correct way to do it it to install Python with the -user variable, so permissions to system files are not required.

We are also working on getting Octoprint up to the current Dev version. You can always use git to grab the newest version from whatever branch you choose - it just needs to be saved in /home/ubuntu/octoprint-type-a for the start up script to work.

-matthew-

astalsi

Postby astalsi » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:48 am

Matthew,
From pure curiosity, what's the permissions issue you're seeing? I don't remember having to deal with any setting mine up, beyond perhaps adding a user to the video group.

Steve

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:43 pm

This is off topic from the SD card image, but...

/dev/video1 kept reverting to root root when the camera is plugged in. Unplugging and replugging reverted the permissions. I made a udev rule to change this to ubuntu ubuntu as the user/group, and it worked.

I'm not sure how Type A Machines will implement the webcam, because I am not on the software team. I'm just a linux user.

astalsi

Postby astalsi » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:01 pm

Matthew,

If the software team wants a hand, I'd love to help? Having been a professional linux sysadmin has its advantages :-)

That said, you must be using different software than me. My memory is that Motion (which I used) opens the video device as root, then setuid()s to a non-privileged user.

Steve

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:34 pm

Steve,

We may take you up on that offer...

In the mean time, I've started a seperate thread for webcams on the TAM image : viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1747

-matthew-

NoNaym

Postby NoNaym » Sat May 09, 2015 10:47 pm

Hey Matthew,

I'm seriously considering trying to create a nice new image from scratch, featuring updated Ubuntu Linux (14.04.2 LTS), the latest version of Octoprint, maybe built-in webcam support (or at least the building blocks pre-installed)... and who knows, maybe even heated print-bed support (still need to get mine fabricated and installed).

Do you guys have any tips, suggestions, things to look out for... etc. for getting things working (beyond the Ubuntu install, Octoprint install, and network config)?

Will definitely report back if/when I have something tasty cooked up for your BBBs :)

NoNaym

Postby NoNaym » Sun May 10, 2015 7:24 pm

Oh also, if there is any way you can tell me how you guys added the WiFi configuration into the OctoPrint GUI settings, I'd love to add the feature back into the latest version of OctoPrint in this image I'm working on.

...oh, it would be awesome to get some help getting your logo/favicon back in there too if possible! Will definitely be sharing when I have something usable ready either way.

Return to “Series 1”