Welcome! configs and firmware

Welcome to the great dual head experiment. Type A has joined the special club of companies with dual extrusion machines in the wild.

Join us in making them more awesome, and share your results and ideas here.

Moderator: Elijah

AndrewRutter

Welcome! configs and firmware

Postby AndrewRutter » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:53 am

Welcome one and all.

Our first wave of Dual Head machines is out there and this is the place to share knowledge!

Attached you will find the current Slic3r profile. We do not yet have a KISSlicer profile (but the Pro version should be simple to configure for Dual Head).

Update
Firmware attached!
11-12-12 Firmware with correct author and date added.

Share your results and improvements!
Attachments
Series1 Dual Head firmware revB.zip
Most current firmware for Series 1 RevB with Dual Head.
(139 KiB) Downloaded 195 times
Series1dual.zip
Our current best Slic3r profile for prints with second extruder support material with the Series 1 Dual Head.
(1.16 KiB) Downloaded 206 times

LaserGnomes

Re: Welcome!

Postby LaserGnomes » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:16 pm

...exactly what I was looking for. THANKS!

Rodwagner

Re: Welcome! configs and firmware

Postby Rodwagner » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:00 pm

Perfect ignore my post on .ini now how about a good test .stl

pwiseman

Postby pwiseman » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:25 am

I just bought this machine from Makershed. I'd like to start with just one extruder, so should I use the single-extruder slic3r profile until I'm ready to try two?

Patrick

AndrewRutter

Postby AndrewRutter » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:56 am

pwiseman wrote:I just bought this machine from Makershed. I'd like to start with just one extruder, so should I use the single-extruder slic3r profile until I'm ready to try two?

Patrick

Yes. By default the machine will use the first (left) extruder (T0). If your g-code does not include T0 and T1 commands (they switch the active toolhead) then you'll just get a single head print. You could even add the T1 command into the start custom g-code to make the machine print with the second head.

pwiseman

Using second head as primary?

Postby pwiseman » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:09 am

AndrewRutter wrote:You could even add the T1 command into the start custom g-code to make the machine print with the second head.

Could you explain how? I've created a Slic3r profile setting extruder 2 to do everything, setting the center x-coordinate to 130 to compensate for the 30.5mm offset of the second extruder, and I've modified the start g-code to zero the temp on T0 and then use only T1, but in the generated g-code there's a reference to T0, followed by lots of G1 movements to X coordinates which look to be 30 off, and, after printing a few layers, the head moved 30mm to the left to continue. Maybe it's a bug in Slic3r (I'm using version 0.9.8-dev) or maybe I just don't know what I'm doing!

Patrick

pwiseman

Re: Using second head as primary?

Postby pwiseman » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:36 pm

pwiseman wrote:I've created a Slic3r profile setting extruder 2 to do everything, setting the center x-coordinate to 130 to compensate for the 30.5mm offset of the second extruder, and I've modified the start g-code to zero the temp on T0 and then use only T1, but in the generated g-code there's a reference to T0, followed by lots of G1 movements to X coordinates which look to be 30 off, and, after printing a few layers, the head moved 30mm to the left to continue.

I MAY have solved this by setting the X-offset for the second extruder to 0; now, although the generated T-code invokes T0, the X-coords are not off when compared with those for T1. I can just comment out the T0 call, and everything should now work for T1. I haven't had a chance to put it to the test yet.

Patrick

pwiseman

Re: Using second head as primary?

Postby pwiseman » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:55 am

pwiseman wrote:I MAY have solved this by setting the X-offset for the second extruder to 0; now, although the generated T-code invokes T0, the X-coords are not off when compared with those for T1. I can just comment out the T0 call, and everything should now work for T1. I haven't had a chance to put it to the test yet.

That worked, but I had another problem, reporting in the Troubleshooting forum.

Patrick

LaserGnomes

Postby LaserGnomes » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:25 pm

Umm... few issues with this Slic3r file.

1. Extrusion default is 1mm? Andrew advised 0.35-0.6
2. Start G-Code has SEVERAL temperature calls which seem unnecessary

-2 cents

pwiseman

Postby pwiseman » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:40 pm

LaserGnomes wrote:Umm... few issues with this Slic3r file.

1. Extrusion default is 1mm? Andrew advised 0.35-0.6
2. Start G-Code has SEVERAL temperature calls which seem unnecessary

It's the default slic3r profile, supplied by TAM.

You're right about the unnecessary temperature calls at the beginning of the file. I'm not sure they even work, given the "M104 S135 T0" format; I think you need "T0\nM104 S135" for it to take.

Patrick

Return to “Dual Head”