wich one is the best?

All general topics and questions.

Moderator: Elijah

xtranger

wich one is the best?

Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:06 am

Hello I just want to know in your opion wich one is the best 3d printer in the moment?
Makerbot Replicator 5tg generation?
Ultimaker 2?
2014 Series 1 3D Printer?

What do you think is the best of each one?

kim

Re: wich one is the best?

Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:19 pm

Hey xtranger, I may be biased when I say the Series 1 :lol: but what kind of features are you looking for? Our 2014 Series 1 3D printer has the largest build volume in its class, along with wi-fi compatibility and upgradable modularity. Happy to answer any questions you may have about our printer!

swirusek

Sun May 03, 2015 3:24 pm

i was using Ultimaker 2 and everything works good

Gilda

Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:33 am

I used to have Makerbot Replicator 5tg, was totally satisfied. I don't know which one is the best, guess it actually depends.

Espen

Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:05 am

Really depends on what you want to do with it! "Best" can mean different things to different people - as tools they can all be good machines in their own right.

Let's take the three machines mentioned here: Makerbot 5th gen, Ultimaker (2), and Series 1:

The Makerbot 5th gen is designed with the "prosumer" market in mind. My take is that they've spent a lot of time, and are spending a lot of time, on making the Makerbot as easy to use as possible. With a growing user base of casual users, Makerbot needs to build a machine that will print with as little input from the user as possible. Easy to use software, reduced complexity, limiting user access so they can't accidentally mess things up, and removing maintenance and repair needs are important if you want to make a machine for people with no modeling or technical skills.

The Ultimaker 2 is a machine largely built for makers. Part of the prosumer market, Makers also like to tinker, hack and modify: they want access to their machine and like things to be open. In order to get as many people Making as possible, Erik and team need to lower barriers for participation: they want to teach you how the machine works, how 3D modeling works and empower you to explore 3D printing as a tool. If that is your goal, then improving community forums, ease of use (without taking away choice) and improving educational and inspirational content take the front seat.

The Series 1 is a machine built to bridge the scalability gap between prototyping and volumetric manufacturing. Built for professional designers and manufacturers, we are focused on providing improved technical performance, automation, scalability and a better return on investment. The fact that we support more materials than any other 3D printer out there, have the only scalable production system (Print Pods) for Fused Filament printers, and have the best cost-per-part breakdown for volumetric FFF part production are direct consequences of our focus. If you check out our website, you will see we also support Makers and Education, but our take is a bit different: Our Makers are generally people with deeper technical knowledge or specific projects or usecases in mind, and in Education our machines are frequently used more as part of an IT cluster/Fab Lab space than on the desk of every child. Our users like to do their research (or they wouldn't find us in the first place!) and so in general capability is at the top of their list of wants.

...hope that helps!

- E

BillDempsey

Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:29 am

I don't have my Type A Machines Series 1 Pro for comparison yet, but I can tell you about the Ultimaker 2.

First, the good points. It is quiet, has great print quality, and can print very fast (sacrificing quality, of course.) For the first 6 months, it was relatively trouble free.

Now, the bad points. After that 6 months, the "honeymoon" was over. I now spend more time fixing problems than I do printing. I'm lucky if I get 3 prints out of it before I have to fix it again. Each time it stops printing, I spend 4-8 hours tearing it down to fix the problem. The filament feed mechanism is horrible and the print head uses a plastic piece which deforms over time from the heat, causing constant plugs. I've replaced that plastic piece and the heater block 3 times, so far. You can't change the nozzle because it is part of the heater block. Replacing the entire heater block is expensive, and a major pain in the rear. You have to disassemble the entire print head to change or clean the heater block. The maximum temperature on the print head is only 260C, which means you can't use a lot of the coolest materials. Plus, if you print much at 240C or higher, the plastic piece deforms much faster.

Overall, I don't recommend the Ultimaker 2 unless you like tinkering with the printer more than you like designing and printing your own creations.

I ordered a TAM Series 1 Pro in the hope that it is dependable enough that I don't have to spend all of my time fixing it. I just want something that works, so I can focus on printing rather than tinkering with the printer.

Bill Dempsey
3-D printing enthusiast, maker, designer, and general tech geek.
Currently own a Type A Machines Series 1 Pro and Ultimaker 2.
Donated my Ultimaker original and CubeX Trio to my local maker space.

jarhead

Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:47 am

BillDempsey wrote:I ordered a TAM Series 1 Pro in the hope that it is dependable enough that I don't have to spend all of my time fixing it. I just want something that works, so I can focus on printing rather than tinkering with the printer.

Good luck with that! In my opinion 3d printers will always require "tinkering". They aren't consumer grade so to speak and I don't think they ever will be. Instead, I see the consumer changing (probably a good thing) towards the 3d printing environment. Think about it, these are basically CNC machines that machinists have to be trained on to operate (I have two CNC mills in my basement so I know), and here we are expecting them to just work out of the box. I even read a thread on here from someone who wanted to change the startup gcode or something like that, was given the code, and couldn't do it because "he doesn't do code". His words. It's gcode... not some programming language! If that guy sticks with 3d printing, I bet he'll be doing gcode before long. That's the change I'm referring to. We as people will adapt to the machines. Scary.

Maria

Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:20 am

I was using Makerbot Replicator 5tg. Does job, does well!

kerog777

Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:38 pm

BillDempsey wrote:I don't have my Type A Machines Series 1 Pro for comparison yet, but I can tell you about the Ultimaker 2.

Now, the bad points. After that 6 months, the "honeymoon" was over. I now spend more time fixing problems than I do printing. I'm lucky if I get 3 prints out of it before I have to fix it again. Each time it stops printing, I spend 4-8 hours tearing it down to fix the problem. The filament feed mechanism is horrible and the print head uses a plastic piece which deforms over time from the heat, causing constant plugs. I've replaced that plastic piece and the heater block 3 times, so far. You can't change the nozzle because it is part of the heater block. Replacing the entire heater block is expensive, and a major pain in the rear. You have to disassemble the entire print head to change or clean the heater block. The maximum temperature on the print head is only 260C, which means you can't use a lot of the coolest materials. Plus, if you print much at 240C or higher, the plastic piece deforms much faster.

We're seeing a lot of the same problems with the Ultimaker. Our Taz 5 seems more reliable, easier to maintain, and in general more "open". With regard to Espen's post, I'd think it is a better choice than the Ultimaker for Maker types.

People have also had a lot of trouble with the Makerbot 5th Gen over the past couple years. Makerbot says they have redesigned their extruder and that it should be much more reliable now, but we'll see what the community experience is.

I'm liking the Series 1 Pro so far. The built-in Octoprint is great, and also love the large build area and easily removable bed. The big build area with the network connection means I can start a print in one section, let it finish, and then start a new print somewhere else on the platform without having to actually go to the printer to remove the first print. Great for a work machine that you want to access/monitor from home. I'm in California, and was able to start and monitor a print while on travel on the East coast over a VPN connection.

BillDempsey

Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:00 am

kerog777 wrote:We're seeing a lot of the same problems with the Ultimaker. Our Taz 5 seems more reliable, easier to maintain, and in general more "open". With regard to Espen's post, I'd think it is a better choice than the Ultimaker for Maker types.

People have also had a lot of trouble with the Makerbot 5th Gen over the past couple years. Makerbot says they have redesigned their extruder and that it should be much more reliable now, but we'll see what the community experience is.

I'm liking the Series 1 Pro so far. The built-in Octoprint is great, and also love the large build area and easily removable bed. The big build area with the network connection means I can start a print in one section, let it finish, and then start a new print somewhere else on the platform without having to actually go to the printer to remove the first print. Great for a work machine that you want to access/monitor from home. I'm in California, and was able to start and monitor a print while on travel on the East coast over a VPN connection.

Since my original post, I have done a few things which eliminated all of the troubles I had with the Ultimaker 2. First, I replaced their stock heater block with a user design called the "Ollsen Block" that has easily swap-able nozzles. Second, I discovered that the cheap set screw they were using on the filament drive wheel was allowing it to slip on the stepper shaft. I fixed this by using my Dremel to create a flat spot on the side of the shaft so the set screw couldn't slip. After these two changes, the printer has worked non-stop for 2 months without a single fail. Finally!

I just received my TAM S1 Pro yesterday, but so far, it looks pretty good. Print quality very close to Ultimaker 2 and only slightly slower out of the box. The fan on the TAM is very loud, though. Luckily, I plan to print mostly with Alloy 910 on that printer and Taulman recommends printing without the fan for that material.

Bill Dempsey
3-D printing enthusiast, maker, designer, and general tech geek.
Currently own a Type A Machines Series 1 Pro and Ultimaker 2.
Donated my Ultimaker original and CubeX Trio to my local maker space.

Return to “General Discussion”