Controlling Printer via SSH and Command Line

All general topics and questions.

Moderator: Elijah

kwardle

Controlling Printer via SSH and Command Line

Postby kwardle » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:13 pm

I am wondering if there is a way to control the printer from the command line via an ssh connection. This is probably not commonly needed, but in my case my printer is at work and I have to log into through two different machines to get to it which makes forwarding back the browser window a little slow. It would be nice to be able to just ssh to the printer and load, run, and cancel print jobs from the command line. Is this possible?

Miloh

Re: Controlling Printer via SSH and Command Line

Postby Miloh » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:53 pm

Hi Kwardle,

There are a few options I know of, one tried and true and the other shiny and new.
The tried and true command line interface for printers is pronsole, which is part of kliment's awesome Printrun package. Printrun is over at https://github.com/kliment/Printrun and it's likely it will work from the head commit if you just clone the git repo, cd into the project directory and run 'pronsole.py'. You should be familiar or willing to become familiar with gcode commands. Just start out by typing 'help' at the pronsole prompt and you can feel your way around, I find it very intuitive.

As for the new project, If you like curses, there's a project being built by treeherder and jerquee for the purpose of controlling a reprap pick and place machine. It's called pcknplc. It's being developed by some friends in Oakland who work with our original telescoping prototype Series 1 machines to make pick and place or pick and paste automation machines.https://github.com/treeherder/pcknplc

kwardle

Postby kwardle » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:32 am

Thanks for the tips. I had thought of pronsole, but I guess I was wondering if there was anything to control it already installed on the machine (2014 Series 1). Sounds like the answer is no. I did find another alternative and that is to simply us a lighter weight browser. I have tried using a browser called surf (I am running Ubuntu 12.04 on the host machine) and this seems to run a little more smoothly when forwarded over ssh and X11.

Miloh

Postby Miloh » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:20 pm

Do you think PrintRun/Pronsole it should come preinstalled? It's also quite easy to download and get running.

Can you let us know a bit behind why you use your 2014 Series 1 with surf and X11 forwarding.

ccrome

Postby ccrome » Wed May 14, 2014 10:40 pm

I control my printer remotely in 2 ways:

(old way)
ssh [my home computer ip address] -L5000:192.168.1.183:5000

which maps the remote 5000 port to the local 5000 port, then I just contact: http://localhost:5000
If you need to go through 2 computers, then you'd have to do it twice I think.
I just create an alias called 'ssh_home' that does it automatically.

(new way)
I set up PPTP on my router, and it's awesome! I love just being able to hit 'connect' on my mac menu bar, and then it's as if I'm at home.

-Caleb

Kamilla

Postby Kamilla » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:00 am

Nice posts. Keep posting such needed information. Thank's!

Return to “General Discussion”