Printing with HIPS

All general topics and questions.

Moderator: Elijah

dsp39

Printing with HIPS

Postby dsp39 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:57 pm

Has anyone printed with HIPS without a heated build plate? I didn't read all the instructions before buying it and now find myself trying to get the dang stuff to stick to painter's tape with very little luck!

Maybe I can build a HBP tomorrow...

-DP

dsp39

Re: Printing with HIPS

Postby dsp39 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:51 pm

OK here's what I did, in case anyone else has to print large parts out of only HIPS, which I hope you don't.

Print raft/pad of PLA (1mm thick) under part. Oversize for plenty of grip. Switch filament to HIPS for the last layer on the pad for good adhesion, because it doesn't really want to stick to anything. Then print the rest of your part.

The HIPS cracked pretty badly all along the part. Seems like the layer adhesion just couldn't resist the warp, so a crack would propagate every 20 or 30 layers. Functional enough for my purposes...

A heated build plate would help with the first few layers, but I don't know if it would be much help for the other cracks, can anyone weigh in on this? I've still never used a HBP... Next would be a heated build area, I imagine that would solve most problems and introduce some new ones!

-David

Elijah
Site Admin

Postby Elijah » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:28 am

Ooh ooh pictures pretty please!
Elijah Post
Type A Machines

Kamilla

Postby Kamilla » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:58 am

Thank you for posting this information!)

Return to “General Discussion”