Marlin / Sailfish firmware

All general topics and questions.

Moderator: Elijah

100ideas

Marlin / Sailfish firmware

Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:47 pm

Is the Sailfish fork of the Marlin firmware compatible with the Type A workflow (i.e. slic3r & Series 1 electronics)? If so, are there any caveats to be aware of when upgrading?

Description: http://objects.reprap.org/wiki/List_of_ ... e#Sailfish
Source: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:32084

AndrewRutter

Re: Marlin / Sailfish firmware

Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:47 pm

It should be compatible. Its not something we have had time to look at so be warned that its an adventure into the cutting edge!

Although Type A Machines cannot support or even use anything hosted on Thingiverse.

eeyore

Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:49 pm

Did you upgrade to the Sailfish firmware ? If you did how is it going ?

Jetguy

Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:38 am

In support of what Andrew has said, I agree, there is some uncharted territory to use with RAMPS and the Series One.

Here is what I know since I am using Sailfish on Gen4 Makerbot (I know, Evil) electronics in my custom Series One.

Sailfish is really designed to be great from the LCD control panel and has tons of great features for standalone printing from SD card (IMHO, the only way to print).

Homing is different and MakerBot style. In other words, MBI printers home to X-Y Min and Z Max. Series One by default is X Min, Y Max, Z min for switch placements. Sailfish assumes you home to Z max and count back using the offsets stored in eeprom. Series one uses a Z min with adjustable trigger screw, thus is a pure mechanical setup.While I think it would work with a 0 offset and changing the limit switch configuration inside of onboard prefernces via Replicatorg-40 for Z, I am not 100% sure.

There are tons of features such as preheat, temperature overides, extruder motor hold, Blink M support for RGB LED lighting, full menus for every possible setting or option. Most of them are made even better by LCD support. I takes the machine to the next level.

I'll post some pictures and build videos quick. The point is, I found it easier since I'm doing a custom build to just use gen4 electronics which take up a lot of space, but can me shoehorned in. It looks sharp, makes the bot completely standalone for printing from SD card, and just way better experience overall.

I'm not in any way knocking the awsome work by Andrew and team, just pointing out differences between what is stock and what is possible with Sailfish. There is nothing special about gen4 electronics either, just that it made integration of the sailfish firmware, LCD control panel add-on, SD card printing, and BlinkM LED lighting way cooler than any thing I have seen done with a ready to buy package of RAMPS. For example, I've Googled LCD for RAMBO and didn't get anything other than someone asking the same question. There are SD card modules for RAMPS, and there are many LCD controllers out there too. I'ts just work to get it all working together.

AndrewRutter

Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:51 pm

There are a ton of LCD interfaces for RAMPS on Ebay. We have a local guy who has designed a version with input from us and we will be getting some samples in soon. We'll push those out to you beta folks! It will include an SD card slot (full size!)

turnrock

Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:17 am

I have been debating buying one of those LCD's for RAMPS on Ebay.I would very much like to get one of those custom LCD's for the Series1 when they're ready!

Kamilla

Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:09 am

Thank you for good communication.

Return to “General Discussion”