Best Finishing Methods for PLA

All general topics and questions.

Moderator: Elijah

scmw

Best Finishing Methods for PLA

Postby scmw » Fri May 10, 2013 3:01 pm

Yep, the Noob strikes again.

What are the best methods that you've found for obtaining a smooth surface to your prints? Say I want to print something at .05mm settings at a slow speed. I expect to still see some resolution lines. What is the best method for post-processing parts in order to get a nice smooth finish?

Has anyone used a media blaster against a PLA print? We have a sandblasting cabinet that was modified to use a Badger (airbrush Co.) sandblasting gun. We use baking soda as a medium for removing paint from existing models or to prep a surface for better paint adhesion. We've also used various nutshells like pecan and walnut as blasting media in a regular sand blasting gun. My guess is that I probably don't want to use something like silica against PLA. But then again, I don't have experience with PLA parts yet.

What have you guys found to be good solutions?

Thanks,
Terry

Charles Xavier

Re: Best Finishing Methods for PLA

Postby Charles Xavier » Fri May 10, 2013 6:56 pm

Let me direct you to this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=195

We've been ooohing and ahhhing over watsonstudio's fantastic prints and amazing finish. He describes it to some depth throughout the thread, but the basic ideas is that he uses a filler/primer and then wet-sands down to the plastic. He then does some sort of voodoo spray painting and gets the most amazing 3D printed parts to grace the internet. I can't speak highly enough of his technique and ability.

Kamilla

Re: Best Finishing Methods for PLA

Postby Kamilla » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:59 am

What I read I really liked it. Thank you for your information!

Return to “General Discussion”