Upgrade to pro worth it?

All general topics and questions.

Moderator: Elijah

AdamAquatic

Upgrade to pro worth it?

Postby AdamAquatic » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:31 pm

I currently use a 2014 Series 1. It's been a solid machine and printed good quality prints for me, but the new materials and the heated bed have tempted me to upgrade. Has anyone upgraded yet? Any thoughts or experience on materials an print quality over the previous machines? I'd be very interested in hearing about your experiences. Thanks!

BillDempsey

Re: Upgrade to pro worth it?

Postby BillDempsey » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:52 am

The heated bed alone makes it worth the upgrade. I've owned two printers without heated beds and now own two printers with heated beds. There is no contest. I will never again buy a printer without a heated bed. For many materials, it is so much easier to get good prints on a heated bed. I print a lot of things that are 200mmx200mm or larger. I literally never got a perfect print at that size before I bought printers with heated beds, not even with PLA. There was always one corner or two which lifted slightly off the bed. I highly recommend having a heated bed.

Bill Dempsey
3-D printing enthusiast, maker, designer, and general tech geek.
Currently own a Type A Machines Series 1 Pro and Ultimaker 2.
Donated my Ultimaker original and CubeX Trio to my local maker space.

jarhead

Postby jarhead » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:48 am

No, not even close to being worth it.
You can add all the "upgrades" yourself for far less.

AdamAquatic

Postby AdamAquatic » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:48 pm

BillDempsey - Thank you for the reply. My new projects all require larger prints so that's definitely something to consider.

JarHead - Yeah, it's more expensive than I expected. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure of exactly what would be upgraded. What I do know is that I'm bad with electronics and not really sure of my ability to install the upgrades myself. It would be nice to have the option though. I'm sure that someone would make a YouTube tutorial for a dummy like me.

Trilo

Postby Trilo » Wed May 18, 2016 2:39 pm

We recently upgraded our Series 1 to the Series 1 Pro. It's an expensive upgrade, to be sure, but for us we feel it was absolutely worth it. Ours was one of the older models, so it seems like absolutely everything except the metal frame has changed dramatically. The G2 extruder is a significant step up from the G1, and the heated bed has been a real game-changer (no more curling). Beyond that, though, there have been a lot of improvements. It's a lot quieter and a lot more accurate thanks to the new stepper motors, and I think the new material feeder and pinchwheel are a significant improvement as well. The electronics inside and the setup process has also gotten attention, and was a real breeze when compared with setting up the original printer.

Additionally, we're now able to print directly from Cura and Meshmixer (and probably other apps too, those are the only two we've tried direct printing from), the whole thing seems a lot easier to use and a lot less touch and go than before.

One area that was a real letdown was the webcam. It is absolutely terrible - very poor resolution, and not only manual focus but impossible-to-focus. Either they've accidentally fitted ours with a macro lens that's only capable of focusing on objects within a couple inches of the camera, or it's just a terrible piece of equipment that's unable to focus on objects on any part of the build platform. Here's a shot of the best focus I'm able to get on a current job...

It wasn't a high priority feature for us, but at some point I'd like to figure out some kind of better solution. We've warmed up to the idea of being able to use a remote camera to check on a job, and the idea of timelapse videos sounds fun, but the webcam that came with the Series 1 Pro upgrade doesn't serve up the image quality for either.

Overall though, we feel it's expensive but worth it.

Elijah
Site Admin

Postby Elijah » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:35 pm

Hit us up on support and we should be able to fix it for you.

support.typeamachines.com
Elijah Post
Type A Machines

Return to “General Discussion”