My Series 1 has been a nonstop stream of problems... am I the only one?

All general topics and questions.

Moderator: Elijah

semperfikurt

My Series 1 has been a nonstop stream of problems... am I the only one?

Postby semperfikurt » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:40 pm

So I have owned my 2014 Series 1 for about a year now and I think I have seen it work properly as intended for about five minutes after I got it out of the box. After that it's been nothing but problems.

-First it's LOUD and vibrates a lot.
-None of the setup steps were as simple as described. Nothing worked outright; everything took days of messing with it before it started functioning.
-The wifi worked for a day or so then just quit, I never figured out what was wrong and eventually just connected the Rumba directly to my computer via USB bypassing the Beaglebone.
-One of the print bed bolts was bent right out of the box and took some work to sort that out.
-The machine stopped homing properly and I have to manually move the extruder to the home position every print.
-The jog functions don't work anymore, it only jogs in one direction for the X and Y axes.
-Eventually the Y axis started failing mid-print requiring the drivers to be replaced... but after receiving the new ones from TAM and going through that, now the Y axis doesn't work at all, so I have been going back and forth with tech support about that.

When I get it printing it prints beautifully, no complaints there, but I always have to employ strange workarounds for features on the machine that no longer work properly... It never just works the way it's supposed to.

I must say that overall TAM is a terrific company, and their customer service is just unrivaled... seriously. Experience with the company has been nothing but awesome but my experience with the printer itself has been overwhelmingly poor.

I really don't expect miracles from this machine, but at nearly $3K price point, I do expect it to work fully and completely as it is supposed to (without this much argument). Did I get a "lemon" or are there other people with similar experiences?

Espen

Re: My Series 1 has been a nonstop stream of problems... am I the only one?

Postby Espen » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:39 pm

Hi Semperfirkurt,

I'm sorry to hear that! What is your serial number? If you email me (Espen@typeamachines.com) I will look into it.

Hopefully we can get you up and printing again!

Best wishes,

Espen

Gleedaniel13

Postby Gleedaniel13 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:01 pm

I have not experience it yet but I am confident enough that whenever problems exist we have lot of friends here that can help us. ;)

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:17 pm

The first thing to do if you have issues is to contact Type A Machines Support team at support.typeamachines.com. We can iron out any issues that you may have.

-matthew-
I'm from support. I'm here to help.

mrSEADEMON

Postby mrSEADEMON » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:35 pm

yes printer until damp. There was also a sea of problems that pushed me to study the issue for 3D printing. But support always worked flawlessly.
1. Could not contact the VBB sent a new card and link to appear.
2. There was a shortage of fastening filaments. Promptly sent.
3. 3 times burned on G1 nozzle printer. Every time the replacement sent out.
4. Burned RUMBA also sent a replacement.
5. send a replacement cable.

As a result, I began to tightly razbiratsya step by step in all the nuances.
1. Replace the nozzle on the E3D version 6.
2. Make a circular airflow nozzle.
3. clamp the spring on the table. This cleared up the vibration and at times improve the print quality.
4. Remove the glass from the table and set the mirror. Glass has a convex shape it is difficult to calibrate well.
5. Replace the cover on the printer first cardboard then plexiglass. Gone drafts. Print quality has improved.
6. Who is going to replace all of them there spool 3 pieces. Put more narrow, remove the friction belt of the printer. Belt stop jumping on the spool. Leave uneven walls with printed patterns.

This is only part conceived and embodied.
In general, in spite of all problemmy. I do not regret the money spent. The printer is a very high quality in terms of development opportunities. Yes there problemmy but they are all printers.

So be brave and keep your nose to the wind. Everything will be fine.

feltnert

Postby feltnert » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:12 am

My new Series 1 Pro has been nothing but problems...from skewed prints to filament feed just stopping for no reason. That is my problem right now: The filament feeds for about 30 minutes and then stops. It has done it for the past two weeks...I can't get past it.

The other thing is that tech support is the worst I have ever seen with a company. I have waited over three weeks for most replies, and then the answer is, "I'll have to get back to you on that". I even had a reply from the COO of the company, and she never replied back after the first email.

Just for the record...My Uprint+ runs like a dream, and has for over six years. I never have a bad print...

BillDempsey

Postby BillDempsey » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:36 am

The only problem I've had with my TAM Series 1 Pro is when I aborted a print, turned off the motors, moved the head out of the way to remove the aborted print, turned the motors back on, then pressed Home on their interface. The printer then pushed the nozzle very firmly into the glass and dragged it all the way across and back to the corner. Nasty screeching sound and vibration from the motors on that move. The very next print stopped feeding filament after a couple of layers and no matter what I tried, I could not get it to feed again. I have a feeling the nozzle opening was damaged when it dragged across the glass.

To make matters worse, I had ordered a spare nozzle at the same time I ordered the printer. I wanted it so I could avoid downtime if something happened to the original. The printer arrived in 4 months. The nozzle still hasn't arrived after 6+ months. So, I immediately ordered yet another nozzle figuring I would still need a spare, now that the original is useless. Then, I emailed TAM explaining what happened to my printer and got a reply that said I need to adjust my Z-height... :roll: All I had done was press Home, then the printer proceeded to wreck itself, yet there was no offer to send a new nozzle under warranty. That was disappointing. I guess the warranty is meaningless.

In the email, I also asked why I had never received the nozzle I paid for 6+ months ago. I was told that both nozzles that I ordered should ship by the end of this week. So, my printer has been dead in the water for a over a week, now and I'm feeling a little less pleased with my purchase. Hopefully, I'll be up and running again next week.

Bill Dempsey
3-D printing enthusiast, maker, designer, and general tech geek.
Currently own a Type A Machines Series 1 Pro and Ultimaker 2.
Donated my Ultimaker original and CubeX Trio to my local maker space.

jarhead

Postby jarhead » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:47 am

And yet the prices go up...

BillDempsey

Postby BillDempsey » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:49 am

I just got some good news! I just got an email from Tom Davies saying that my hot ends are shipping today. One will be a free replacement under warranty. The other will be refunded due to the 6+ month long wait. So, I'm getting refunds on both purchases. :D Type A Machines really stepped up on this one. This is the kind of customer service that will set them apart among 3D printer manufacturers over the long haul. Nice Job TAM!

To the others having troubles: From my own experience so far, TAM support has improved a lot over the past few months. Contact support persistently and they will do their best to help. You do need to be very specific and detailed about the problem you're having. Also, if you focus on one problem at a time, the other problems won't get lost in the email shuffle.

Happy printing everyone!

Bill Dempsey
3-D printing enthusiast, maker, designer, and general tech geek.
Currently own a Type A Machines Series 1 Pro and Ultimaker 2.
Donated my Ultimaker original and CubeX Trio to my local maker space.

Return to “General Discussion”