Removable build plate for TAM Series 1 PRO

All general topics and questions.

Moderator: Elijah

BillDempsey

Removable build plate for TAM Series 1 PRO

Postby BillDempsey » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:29 am

I really want to see TAM address the removable build plate issue as an upgrade for the TAM Series 1 Pro. First, having a removable build plate is standard on most printers in the industry, because it makes part removal MUCH easier. Second, I broke my glass build plate trying to remove a stubborn part and found out you can't just replace the glass. You have to buy the entire hot bed assembly, which is $595. They gave me a price break on the first replacement, which was awesome, but I ordered an extra in case this happens again and that one was full price. Ouch! Plus, for such a critical part, they surprisingly don't keep them in stock. So, I have to use a cold plate while I wait who knows how long for them to get me two hot beds from their manufacturer. This is the single biggest gripe I have with this printer. A glued-on print plate seems like a huge oversight if they are targeting this machine at professionals and small-scale production. Swapping out extra build plates to keep the printer running non-stop is a big thing in those cases. I hope they fix this soon. Otherwise, I'll be looking at the gCreate gMax 1.5XT for my next purchase. I can't continue spending $595 to replace a $15 piece of broken glass just to keep this printer working. That's just crazy.

Bill Dempsey
3-D printing enthusiast, maker, designer, and general tech geek.
Currently own a Type A Machines Series 1 Pro and Ultimaker 2.
Donated my Ultimaker original and CubeX Trio to my local maker space.

AdamAquatic

Re: Removable build plate for TAM Series 1 PRO

Postby AdamAquatic » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:52 pm

Sorry to hear that you broke your print bed. You might want to try using a narrow paint spatula. It works wonders for me. Just work the blade point in under the print and then slowly slide the blade left and right in a sweeping motion. Keep working your way around the print and it'll pop right off.

Elijah
Site Admin

Postby Elijah » Tue May 03, 2016 12:34 pm

Alas, if the bed was $15, we certainly wouldn't be charging $595 for it.

Are you saying that you've gone through multiple glass beds? I'm curious to know what kinds of geometry you're printing on it, as there may be a couple tricks I could advise to save you the grief.
Elijah Post
Type A Machines

BillDempsey

Postby BillDempsey » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:15 pm

---
"Alas, if the bed was $15, we certainly wouldn't be charging $595 for it."
--
That's exactly my point. I only broke the glass plate, not the entire build platform. Yet, I had to buy the entire build platform because the glass plate is glued directly to the heater, which is glued to a flat insulation board, which is glued to the aluminum support plate. It's all glued into one giant, insanely expensive sandwich. On my Ultimaker 2, the glass is removable and held in place by 4 rotating clips. When I broke the glass on my Ultimaker 2, I simply bought a new piece of glass and clipped it in place. My total down time was 15 minutes to run to a glass shop. When I broke the glass on my TAM S1 Pro, it was a $595 replacement cost that left my overpriced printer without a heated print bed for weeks.

Gluing the glass directly to the heater seems like a poor design choice for a machine you are selling as a production line alternative. What company can afford to shut down production when a piece of glass gets broken by a clumsy employee? The people I know who have been 3D printing for at least 3 years have broken at least two glass build plates each in that time. It's glass. Glass breaks, particularly if you accidentally hit the edge of it while tapping a paint scraper or palette knife under the edge of a print that bonded to the glass far too well. My friends and colleagues own a wide variety of printers which all have removable glass plates. I purchased a printer from your company. I spent more on this printer than anyone else spent on any of theirs. I'm also the only one who has spent over $595 to replace a broken glass plate. Yes, everyone had a good laugh at my (and your) expense.

I don't need any more "helpful" suggestions on how not to break the glass. I also don't need any more sly implications that I'm doing something bizarre with my machine that no one else on Earth would do. I broke a piece of glass. It happens.

I simply want to see TAM fix the non-removable, non-replaceable glass plate design. (Hopefully in a way that I can retrofit to my own machine.) Why ruin the ownership experience of an otherwise great printer with such an obvious flaw?

*EDIT* This post sounds harsher than I intended it. Sorry about that.

Bill Dempsey
3-D printing enthusiast, maker, designer, and general tech geek.
Currently own a Type A Machines Series 1 Pro and Ultimaker 2.
Donated my Ultimaker original and CubeX Trio to my local maker space.

4Crawler

Postby 4Crawler » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:39 am

Being able to remove/replace the top of the build plate would also facilitate changing the glass to something like Garolite for nylon printing. Plus it would be nice to be able to unclip and remove the top layer to remove prints without having to deal with removing the whole built plate, unplugging and messing with the leveling screws.
Series1-Pro

4Crawler

Postby 4Crawler » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:20 am

So far I'm really liking the Buildtak Flexplate system. You can swap out build surfaces easily, just pick up a new 12" square steel plate for $35 and put whatever you want on it. I've only been using the white BuildTak sheet so far, but I may pick up a spare metal plate and try adhering some Garolite to that for Nylon printing.
I also had a few chips in the glass surface myself. The FlexPlate magnet sheet covers over the glass, so those are not a concern anymore.

I made a couple of YouTube videos on the FlexPlate kit:
https://youtu.be/Qjuf3h6-QJI?list=PLpY2 ... YHcbzAiKvj
So far I'm really liking it.
Series1-Pro

Return to “General Discussion”